Karl Benz invented the first gasoline-powered car and obtained a patent in 1886. Gottlieb Daimler added engines to stagecoaches in 1901 and marketed them as Mercedes. Remarkably, the men never met, but their merged companies formed the beginnings of Mercedes Benz, which has operated continuously for over 125 years. This fascinating beginning is one of many remarkable facts about the company known for luxury cars and meticulous attention to details.
Interesting Facts About Mercedes
- The company, headquartered in Germany, manufacturers trucks and buses in Europe.
- Daimler AG serves as parent company to Mercedes and runs financial services such as leasing, dealer financing, retail financing, fleet management, banking, insurance, and other services in nearly 40 countries.
- Daimler sells vehicles throughout the world and runs production facilities on five continents. Subsidiaries include Mercedes Benz cars, Thomas Built Buses, and brands Western Star, BharatBenz, Setra, Fuso, Freightliner and Maybach.
- The company ranks as the world’s largest manufacturer of commercial vehicles, operating divisions for cars, trucks, buses and vans.
- Gottlieb Daimler joined the Automotive Hall of Fame in 1978, and a stadium, Gottlieb-Daimler-Stadion, was named in his honor in Stuttgart, Germany. The stadium changed its name to Mercedes-Benz Arena in 2008.
Mercedes Benz Models to choose from
You have a wealth of Mercedes Benz cars to suit any purpose from sedate family travel to the classic sports car. The SUV lineup continues to grow despite slightly poorer fuel economy because families want the off-road reliability and solid performance that make the Mercedes brand unique among auto manufacturers.
The S-Class luxury line of automobiles seats five adults in remarkable comfort. Understated elegance shows in the fine interior appointments, and the S400 hybrid sedan reaches a new generation committed to environmental issues. The S-Class not only serves as flagship for the company but also sets the standard for all other manufacturers.
The E-Class Cabriolet offers you sporty convertible style, high performance, and comfortable seating for four people to enjoy every season in the open air. You can choose between a direct-injection V-6 and twin turbo V-8 engine to get the power you want.
The GLK350 sport utility vehicles offer families Mercedes Benz styling with the performance ability of the company’s spirited sports sedans. The refined cabin makes the perfect base for family adventures on or off the highway, and the price falls within budgets of people who never thought they could afford to own a new Mercedes.
Mercedes Benz holds the lead in worldwide sales after the first half of 2012, and the astonishing variety of consumer choices coupled with the meticulous craftsmanship make it easy to understand why.