W. O. Bentley started this brand in 1919. He was the inventor behind a car
that won the LaMans Grand Prix of Endurance in 1924, 1927, 1928, 1929 and
1930. In fact, in 1929 a Bentley car took the top four honors. In 1930,
Bentley cars took first and second place. This is a 24-hour race.
The story of production of Bentley cars describes a rocky road. Bentley
Motors Ltd delivered their first car in September 1921. Having financial
difficulties, W. O. Bentley acquired backing from Woolf Barnato. Drained
of finances that were impacted by the Great Depression of 1929, Bernato
sold the company to Rolls-Royce Limited in 1931.
In 1970, Rolls-Royce Limited split off their motorcar division naming it
Rolls-Royce Motors Limited. In August 1980, Rolls-Royce Motors Limited was
purchased by Vickers plc. The Bentley brand was at an all-time low by this
date. The development of the first Bentley Mulsanne – named for the
difficult 90-degree turn at Le Mans – heralded a revival of the Bentley
Rolls-Royce Motors Limited was purchased by the Volkswagen Group in 1998 in
a bidding war with BMW. The two companies remained co-developers of the
motorcars until 2003. For the first two quarters of 2012, there were 1,140
Bentleys sold in the U.S.
5 Interesting Facts About the Bentley Brand
- It is interesting that “Bentley” remains the feature name on the brand. With the history of the struggles and different companies owning the brand, it is significant that you can still purchase a Bentley car.
- The fact that Queen Elizabeth II has a Bentley limousine is great advertising for the brand.
- The fact that the 2012 Bentley Continental GT Speed can reach 62 mph in four seconds and can go as fast as 204 mph is phenomenal.
- It is interesting that the leather wrapping on the steering wheel on the Bentley Mulsanne is hand-sewn and sewing it takes 12 hours.
- Prior to the Second World War, the Bentley was not sold as a complete car. It was sold as a rolling chassis and delivered to dealerships that were called “coachbuilders” who finished the car for their buyers.
Some Bentley Models
The Bentley EXP 9 F Concept.
This is actually an SUV with standard Bentley styling, has a ticket of just under $600,000 USD and will reach 186 mph.
The Bentley Continental GT.
The GTC comes with a fold-down cloth top and the Speed is expected to be a winner in Moscow at the motor show.
The Bentley Continental Flying Spur.
This and the Flying Spur Speed take top honors among ultra-luxury saloons worldwide.